Wednesday, July 28, 2010



This weekend we had a bbq that did not involve personally killing the cow, and I liked this much better. Martin actually got the meat and got it ground etc. the rest of it just ate it. Way better. It was super delicious, I definitely am not becoming a vegetarian anytime soon. It was actually a pretty American day, because after the bbq we watched a basketball game. American Peace Corps vs. the Camerounians. We had some Camerounians on the Peace Corps team which is probably why we only lost by a little and not an embarrassingly large amount. I was content to film and lead U-S-A chants from the sidelines... and not use my CYO basketball skills.

We’ve started having a Sunday evening yoga class which is the best thing ever. One of the volunteers, Christina, is a yoga teacher and she brought her yoga mat and music and everything so we’ve been having these legit classes here. Since we’re the first Peace Corps group to come to this village for training, they’ve literally been constructing the building around us. The room we've been having the yoga class in is totally open to the outside, so you do your downward dog and look up behind you and it’s just a casual African sunset, so beautiful. It’s also really hot so sort of like built in Bikram yoga?

In other news, I made my first hard-boiled egg Tuesday morning. This basically revolutionized my life, because I hit capacity of palm-oil-fried-egg-breakfasts. I have really gotten used to the “nido” though… this is powdered milk that you mix with water. I started drinking this because I heard that if you didn’t make an effort to have dairy you would become lactose intolerant here. I have no intention of returning to the U.S. unable to eat cheese, ice-cream etc. Nurse Ann says this is not true but I will leave this question to my med school friends? Anyways, the Nido is actually really good for you, it’s enriched with lots of vitamins. So hopefully that counteracts the fact that I’m essentially drinking whole milk … with sugar cubes in it. I don’t really have an excuse for the sugar cubes… it just makes it taste much more delicious. And everyone here puts sugar cubes in everrrrrything. My favorite is when they mix it into this green leafy vegetable. I wouldn't know if that is good because my host mom thinks that and the peanut sauce will make me sick which is really unfortunate because the peanut sauce is awesome. Anyways I crave sugar here all the time and I think it helps you stay hydrated when you have sugar in what you’re drinking so I'm going to continue putting it in my milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment