Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Girls Club

Today I refereed the girls' club football game (soccer) with the rape whistle from my medkit... (I really wish I had a photo I could put in here, I'll try for next week.)

Model school ends early on Wednesday afternoon and we have clubs. We've got forty girls in our club, "The Girls' Club," which makes for a pretty exciting afternoon. We also played volleyball and made acrostic poems with positive words describing ourselves. The girls are mostly francophone here in Bafia so we speak mostly French in the clubs. This is different than our English classes where we're just supposed to speak English. So its a nice change of pace for the day to try and communicate with the students more informally. There's actually going to be a new Peace Corps program in Cameroon next year that is just focused on youth and female empowerment which I'm really excited to find out more about.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a member of the most recent Peace Corps Volunteers selected to serve in Cameroon (tentative departure in mid-September)! I'm anxious to continue reading your blog as I prepare to go through the same timeline of experiences soon. If you provide me your email address, I'd love to ask you a few questions as I gear up to leave the United States. Thanks in advance,
    -Charmayne (charmayne.cooley@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete