Sunday, November 14, 2010

The pizza was not good.

I mean, I ate it… but it wasn’t everything that could have been hoped for. For starters the sauce/cheese ratio was all wrong, but I don’t think I’m ready to discuss the details yet, it will just make me upset. (Philly pizza, I miss you.)

In other things frustrating, I’ve discovered something common to both American and Cameroonian culture: volleyball ball-hogs. I played a game of volleyball with some teachers and students (all male). Turns out that men all over the world like to jump in front of girls every time the ball is coming toward them. They do this 95% of the time, and then duck out of the way at the last minute one random time when the ball comes and then they’re like why didn’t you get that? I was so annnnnnnnnoyed. I didn’t survive 4 years of what I won’t hesitate to call borderline Olympic-level volleyball competition in the SHS holiday volleyball tournament to get jumped in front of during a stupid match over a soccer goal. I’m not putting up with this. I got the girls club playing on Saturday (well 3 members + me and the gym teacher) but we were pretty good. My inner arms are really sore from all the bump-passes though. And everyone at the lycee has commented on me “faire-ing les sports” all weekend.

The home-owner’s (or rather renter’s) update: Moussa at the musinerie has bought my screening and once the wood-cutting machine starts to work again he can start replacing my broken window screens. A neighbor came over and started to take apart the overhead light in my bedroom. So, while I don’t have functional screens or a bedroom light yet, I’m hoping they will be fixed soon. There’s been no progress with the wall or water tank. I don’t think either endeavor is very promising since my landlord is avoiding me even after I tried to entice him with the idea of coming to pick up the rent.

Hmmm the updates about the house were supposed to end the blog on a positive note but now I’m just thinking about all the work that needs to get done in this house. This is positive, my friend Martine’s younger sister is coming tomorrow to help me with stuff around the house… aka cleaning. I’ve characteristically managed to spread my stuff out onto every available surface/the floor. I’ve managed to rally and straighten up a little but I have zero energy for sweeping, mopping, etc. You probably wouldn’t either after you did your laundry and dishes in buckets. I’ve convinced myself that I’m really not that bothered by the spider webs because they kill any mosquitoes that come in (through the broken screens) and therefore are practically malaria prevention. Anyway, my friend Rose popped by on Tuesday on route to the hospital. She admitted that the cobweb situation in my kitchen is “kind of gross” and then she left me a note which I didn’t unearth until Saturday afternoon. Basically it’s every reason why Maureen refused to go up to the third-floor back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment