Saturday, November 13, 2010

I went on my first extreme north bike excursion on Thursday morning. I rode my bike to another nearby village, about 2 hours away, to observe another volunteer teach her English class. My friend in village went with me since I didn’t know the route, but you really just keep going straight. My village is sort of at the bottom of a bunch of mountains while Meri is up in them. So the way there was pretty difficult and we had to walk our bikes in several spots. The way back was quicker, but less enjoyable in the afternoon heat. I took some pictures I’ll be able to post in a week or two. It was cool to see another village and see Melanie’s school. I hurried back for an afternoon girls’ club meeting that only one girl ended up showing up for so that was pretty frustrating.

Friday night was my first “amicale” meeting. All the teachers got together for a dinner party type deal at someone’s house. I got there “early” aka right on time, so I helped get the food ready. Deep frying patates and plantains. Fortunately I had learned how to fry the plantains with my host mom during training so I sort of looked like I knew what I was doing. There was also chicken, but it’s pretty impossible to eat because I’m not sure that there is even actually any meat on the bones. Before dinner, everyone shared what was going on with their families. I have to say this was a little bit morbid because most of the news was regarding who was sick. I wasn’t really sure what to say when it was my turn, so I told them that my belle-soeur was expecting a baby and I hope that brightened the mood!

I ordered pizza for tonight, how crazy is that? Last week I ended up going to the bakery to see how the bread is made. They bake it in this huge oven, its super hot and super delicious. It had been difficult to actually buy the bread though because they don’t make it every day and it’s always at a different time. However, I think I’ve got the schedule down now. The boys (my students who make the bread) mentioned that on the days they make bread, their dad makes pizza in the evening. So, I put in an order and I’m trying it tonight, super excited! Additionally, the boys stopped by my house today on their way home from the bakery with bread for me which I thought was really sweet. I’m hoping the pizza will make my Saturday evening of grading quizzes by myself a little less depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment