Friday, October 1, 2010

We had a huge rainstorm last Saturday and the power went out and stayed that way through Thursday!

I came into Maroua for a meeting with the CDC about the Cholera Epidemic in the Extreme North. Last year there were about 700 cases, but this year there's already been over 7000. Over 200 of those cases have been in my town- but not in the towncenter where I live. They count all the surrounding smaller villages around my town together with the center. We're going to work with the local medical officers to distribute oral rehydration salts in our communities.

There's another volunteer who's dog is about to have puppies any day now! Two have already been promised but if she has 3 puppies than I'll get one!!! I'm so excited.

The library at my school is finally open and I'm in charge of it! So, I'll be spending some more time at the school doing that and hopefully I'll be able to do some extra English help there.

The rainy season is coming to a close. This is very good news for me. Basically, no work gets done in the rainy season because everyone is working on their farms and the roads become impassable. But, my landlord has promised that once it stops raining he'll clean out my water tank so I can get it filled up and have quasi-running water. Also he'll start building the fence around my house.

I've officially started the Fulfulde lessons! I told my neighbor/moto driver this on the way into Maroua and he decided he was going to teach me Fulfulde during the 1 and 1/2 hour ride into town. I have a difficult enough time understanding him when he's speaking in French, on the moto, not facing me, me having my ears obstructed in the helmet. So I didn't really grasp a ton of the Fulfulde that he was saying... but he was pretty impressed by the words that I already had learned...

It was so nice to hear from all you gtowners during Homecoming

No comments:

Post a Comment